My family loves this healthier version of the well known sausage breakfast casserole. This healthier version doesn't skimp on the flavor either. We love it for breakfast on Saturday morning, or even for dinner sometimes. It's tasty whenever you decide to eat it! You can assemble it the night before for a faster breakfast.
1/4 medium onion, chopped
1/2 orange pepper, chopped (can use any color bell pepper)
1 16oz package of turkey sausage
1 (30oz) bag of frozen hash browns, thawed
1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
7 egg whites
1/2 cup 1% milk
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a glass 9 x 13 casserole dish wish non-stick cooking spray.
2. Wash the pepper, then slice into strips and chop into small bite sized pieces. Chop the onion.
3. In a large frying pan, brown the turkey sausage over med heat. Break up into small pieces while cooking. When the meat is browned, add the peppers and onion. Cook about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.
Now it is time to layer your casserole.
4. Put the thawed hash browns into the bottom of the greased casserole dish.
5. Add the sausage/veggie mixture evenly on top of the potatoes.
6. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the meat layer.
7. Lightly beat the egg and egg whites in a 2 cup measuring cup. Add the milk and a dash of pepper. Pour evenly over the casserole.
8. Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the egg mixture has cooked through. Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve! If you refrigerated this the night before, add 15 minutes to the cooking time.
This healthier version of the tasty breakfast casserole is sure to be a hit at your house!
The turkey sausage and low fat cheese and milk reduce the fat content of this casserole, making it a little more heart healthy for you. Using egg whites instead of all whole eggs helps reduce the cholesterol in the meal. You still get the flavor of the regular sausage casserole, with the addition of tasty vegetables; and you can eat it knowing that it is a bit healthier than the pork sausage casserole.
I would love your feedback on how you liked this recipe! Just remember, if your taste buds don't agree with peppers, leave them out. We have added mushrooms and liked it too. Happy cooking!