Are you looking for a wonderfully delicious cupcake recipe? If so, today is your lucky day. These chocolate cupcakes have the added tastiness of cream cheese and chocolate chips. Read below to learn to make these oh so delicious cupcakes!
*** This post contains an affiliate link ***
My step-mom made these cupcakes for years when I was growing up. They were a once-a-year dessert that we looked forward to. A few years ago I decided to make them for my own family and continue the tasty tradition.
Let me tell you a secret...I'm not someone who regularly bakes cupcakes, brownies, or cakes from scratch. The first time I made these I was worried that I would make a mistake and they would not turn out. I was pleasantly surprised when the chocolate cake part was soft and not dry at all. So even if you usually bake with a box mix, this will be a recipe that you can make and delight your family with.
This recipe even involve a little cooking science, so if you have little ones they might like to give you a hand when mixing the ingredients.
Black Bottom Cupcakes Recipe
makes 18 cupcakes
For the cream cheese filling
1 8 oz package cream cheese - softened
1/3 c granulated sugar
1/4 t salt
1 t vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips - we buy Girardelli chips because they taste the best
For the cupcake batter
1 1/2 c flour
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder - we buy the Hershey's cocoa powder
3/4 c sugar
1/2 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 c water
1/3 c canola or vegetable oil
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 t vanilla
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Use 18 cupcake liners in your muffin tins.
1. Use an electric mixer to make the cream cheese filling. Mix the cream cheese until smooth, then add the sugar, egg, salt, and vanilla.
2. Add the chocolate chips and mix by hand.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and other dry ingredients for the batter. Make a well in the center of the ingredients.
4. In a smaller bowl, mix the wet ingredients together.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the well in the dry ingredients and slowly mix together. If you have kids, they might like to do this step because it is fun to watch the bubbling when the vinegar and baking soda react to each other. Do not overmix this batter, you want it to be just smooth.
6. Fill your cupcake liners half full with the batter.
7. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the cream cheese filling on top of the batter. Usually I have a few spoonfuls left of the cream cheese filling. Don't add more to the cupcakes, this will cause the cream cheese to drop to the bottom and you will have cream cheese bottom cupcakes instead. They will still taste good, just be a little harder to eat with the cream cheese at the bottom. instead of the cake at the bottom.
8. Cook for 20-25 minutes. Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
9. Fend off the family until completely cool, then eat and enjoy!
I only make these once or twice a year. I like to save them as a special dessert so my family looks forward to them.
They don't last very long when I make them. If you plan on taking some to a neighbor family, a potluck, or an activity, make a double batch so your family can enjoy them too.
What are you favorite cupcakes? I'd love to hear in the comments below.
Looking for some other delicious chocolate recipes? You are in luck! I have joined with a group of bloggers for an Ultimate Recipe Challenge. This time our topic was chocolate. Yum! Visit a few and you might find a new sweet treat your family will love.